Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tiny Tim-Tiny URL

All I Want For Christmas Is A Tiny URL


As frail Tiny Tim was in need of a good meal, I had a huge appetite for a Tiny URL.

I am working on data feeds for Pastor Paul's Club. Two pieces of information needed are the image URL and the page URL of the store. These will be sent to some comparison shopping networks and hopefully will drive traffic to Pastor Paul's Club. After looking at the length of the URL, again I asked myself, 'What is a tiny URL?'.

Pastor Paul's Blog also has a lengthy URL and I must always remind the Tongues of Fire-Pastor Paul's Podcast listeners that there is no dot after the 3 w's or you will get Another Pastor Paul instead of Our Pastor Paul. When I post to twitter about a blog post the URL takes up 33 of my 140 characters.

I think I posed the same question,'What is a tiny URL?', to the twitter community once without response.
Finally, I searched Google and found Tiny.cc.

If you want a tiny URL to post on twitter, customize your links with keywords and you will even get some analytics for each Tinylink you create, it looks like Tiny.cc is a one stop Tinylink shop with one small catch, and you may be the little fish in the pond, you must wait a tinytime with an advertiser's message while tiny.cc connects your link. Not altogether what I wished for but here it is.

Using Tiny.cc Pastor Paul's Blog URL changed from http://wwwpastorpaul.blogspot.com to http://www.tiny.cc/blogpost. Keep in mind, I will use the tiny URL when I do not need to identify the link because the link is identified by me and Pastor Paul's name is not connected to it. So the tiny URL is not to be used if you are advertising the URL unless when creating it you use an identifier.

If you really want to get some advice on a squeaky clean URL go to URL Hygiene today's post by Seth Godin. He links to Good URL Bad URL by Aaron Goldman who confesses to being a URL-aholic. He knows a bad URL from a good URL and posts them at his blog by the same name.

So as Cyber Santa might ask, 'Is your URL Naughty or Nice?' As for me I am not as satisfied as Tiny Tim. I am thinking squeaky clean fast.



No comments: