Thursday, February 7, 2008

Retro Blog- Shop.org Workshop April 18-20, 2007

I wrote this on May 16th, 2007 after the Workshop. It was my 2nd Retro Blog. It was not posted until now with minor editing. I wanted to show how great the initial contact was with the Shop.org Team who provided valuable networking to an unfamiliar newcomer. It starts with the call...

'I need some information please...'

I called Shop.org and talked to Nicole Scruggs, Sponsorships Sales, initially who was very friendly and referred me to Nicole Edmond, Director of Membership. She informed me about the benefits of membership. I was very interested (although I have had no sales at this point). I wanted to know if my not knowing anything would be a problem since it was an intimate workshop with about 250 in attendance most of which would be marketers. Not just average marketers, the list of attendees were the elite in their field many companies with billion dollar sales 'online.'

I printed an enormous amount of information before I made the call:
The Exhibitor List, The Agenda, The 'A' List of Company Members,The Speaker's with Bios, a link to The National Retail Federation Bookstore (listing 11 must-read E-Commerce & Marketing & Sales Promotion Books). I would be prepared. Nicole thought I should talk to Larry Joseloff, Director of Content, about the actual agenda. He convinced me that I would learn so much and meet other marketers. He would be at the reception. I should look for him, a man with red hair and a beard.
One piece of advice that Larry gave me that was significant, 'Sometimes you just have to jump in'...future internal conversations were primed. I could not wait to go...Planes, Hotels, and Cars and remember the red-beard...It was a breeze to register online. I booked a flight with American Airlines, reserved a room at the Holiday Inn in Hollywood, FL, and rented a car with Avis.

The Opening Reception-Poolside at the Seminole Hardrock Hotel-I have arrived...Greeted by, Larry Joseloff, Nicole Edmund, Terry Young, Director of Events, and Joan Broughton, Content and Education, of Shop.org. Next, I was introduced to Andrew Rodrigues SEO Manager of Geary Interactive. Then, I met Richard Last, VP, Director with JCPenny.com. Poolside, great appetizers good attendance. Time to say goodbye and get ready for the first day of the Online Marketing Workshop But first dinner. I asked Larry about the restaurants and he said the BluePoint Ocean Grill was incredible. After having dinner I agreed, it was the best!

The next day's agenda includes: Opening Remarks/Keynote: Mitch Joel, President, Twist Image. Titled 'Six Pixels of Separation', he discusses social networking, blogs, podcasts and search engine marketing increase consumer loyalty and resulting in positive ROI-a term I will hear repeated almost obsessively by speakers, attendees, etc. For me ROI is a puzzling acronym...defining my experience. I sat next to Brian Dunn, Manager, Online Marketing for Toshiba and Dacy Yee, Web Content & E-Commerce from Toshiba. Our next speaker was Al Bessin, Partner, Lenser. He introduced us to analytics and accountability, 'heavily flavored by the industries best practices'. At this point my own type of analytics kicks in and my focus is on my inability to understand what in the world he is talking about.

Next the intimate Round Tables...I stagger to the Blue Table
(they are color coded by topic)...The Topic I chose is the Affiliate Programs, Anthony Bajoras, Founder, Move Marketing is the facilitator. The discussion gets underway and I am tuned in to 'Working with Search Based Affiliates While Protecting Your Key Words'. Out of nowhere appear Darrin Keene, Search Manager Online Apple Store and Ethan Holland, E-Commerce manager, Jewelry Television. This discussion is so over my head that I start to observe facial expressions and mannerisms because I am feeling mute. It was quite incredible something about affiliates and keywords and protecting them. I had only wished I knew what they were talking about, but, still I was rather intrigued by their vigor.

In a far off distance someone said lets break for lunch and it was all over. I headed directly for the lounge chair by the pool and waterfalls. I had no appetite. I needed to recharge my soul-it was time for the 'Dead Man's Float'. (I will explain later). And I did.

This week
to commemorate their 10th Anniversary, I will be blogging about my experiences with Shop.org and about some of the great people I have met at the conferences and workshops. Please join this conversation with some of your comments or experiences with Shop.org. Tomorrow on Friday our Focus is on my interviews with Scott Silverman, Executive Director of Shop.org at the Merchandising Conference and the Annual Summit.